October 14, 2011

Un cumpleanos muy bien

This year, I got to celebrate my birthday in Spain.  I think Nancy had it pretty easy this year, since my birthday was already going to incredible because … I was in Spain – I guess, it would be pretty difficult to top that anyways.

The day was fun, extremely busy and went by very quickly.  The only disappointing part of my birthday was the fact that I wasn’t able to talk to my family.  Because we don’t have the ability to connect to internet in our piso yet, it has been difficult to stay connected with friends and family.  Our only resource has been a short list of inconsistent WiFi connections at two local cafes and a McDonalds… all three of which, we have probably worn out our welcome over the last three weeks.

So that I can bring everyone along on the journey that was my birthday in Spain, I will provide a real-time, play-by-play summary of the events of Tuesday, October 11th.

8:45am – Nancy’s alarm goes off at a time that I consider to be way too early, especially given the fact that her first class isn’t until 10:50am.  It’s become apparent that my lovely wife and I prefer quite different morning schedules. As Nancy disappears downstairs, I wonder “Why does Nancy always have to set her alarm so early … especially on my birthday.”

9:06am – After showering, Nancy saunters up the stairs with a grin on her face and a cup of cappuccino for me in bed … and what is this other thing?  Oh, just the best new find in Spain – a circle of dough plucked from the heavens and dipped into a sea of chocolate, a special birthday treat.  Sound lame?  You have to try this sweet nectar of the Gods for yourself.  I think, “What a wonderful wife”.

9:36am – I finally stir and stumble out of bed, walk downstairs and prepare my favorite Spanish breakfast, Tortilla Espanola.  And, by prepare, I mean take it out of its packaging.

11:25am – I’m literally running through the crowded sidewalks of Linares, dodging cars and old couples that take up more than their far share of the sidewalk, while holding hands (they’ve perfected the human obstacle course).  I'm late for my 11:30am bus to Bailen to get to school.

11:30am – I arrive at the bus station in the nick of time.  The driver fusses that I need to arrive early next time, I explain that “it’s my birthday”, as if this is logical defense.  He responds, “Una revalacion” as he rolls his eyes (What a revelation).  When I begin to assume Spaniards aren’t big on birthdays, he quickly smiles and tells me “pero, felicidades!” (… but, congratulations!).

11:36am – The bus is playing American music on the way to school.  Listening to a REM song "Shiny, Happy People" over the buses’ speakers – a band that just happens to be from Athens, Georgia.  I know it’s going to be a fun day.

2:42pm – My third and final class of the day, an English class filled with 15 year-olds, sing me “Happy Birthday” in English.  I will make sure they will all receive A’s this year.

3:06pm – I walk into our apartment and Nancy had already prepared our lunch, a tomato and mushroom pesto pasta – wow, I’m thinking about enforcing a ‘birthday week’, not just a day.

3:35pm – Before digging in for seconds, Nancy stops me.  And she returns from the kitchen with my first present – an assortment of three desserts from a local pastry shop.  We are still adjusting to lunch replacing dinner as the main meal here in Spain, but taking full advantage of being able to eat our biggest meal during the afternoon.  I think we made a strong statement on my birthday for our ability to eat a lot at lunch.

3:44pm – I finally get to open the first care-package my parents sent, we were very excited!

3:45pm – I’m still opening the package, at a painfully slow pace, just to drive Nancy crazy.

3:46pm – Cheez—Itz, I love it.

3:47pm – Cheez—Itz, White Cheddar.  What’s better than one box, yes, two boxes.

3:48pm – Sour Patch Kids, I guess Nancy deserves a present, as well.

3:49pm – Loved all the stuff, my parents are the best.

4:15pm – Had to leave for a private tutoring session with a local Pharmacist.

6:06pm – Finished our one and half hour private English lesson, only to receive a call from a local firefighter, requesting private English lessons for his son and daughter.  In Linares, English speakers are treated like local celebrities.

6:21pm – Meet with the firefighter, Juan de Dios (by the way, John of God is kind of an intimidating name) over coffee, to discuss the future English conversation sessions.  Yes, I will let you pay me to speak English.

7:01pm – Finally return home – Nancy and I have planned a little birthday shin-dig at our place for the night, inviting all of our new Linares friends.

7:46pm -- Enjoying an amazing Andalusian sunset with my wife and wine, on my birthday in Southern Spain – life doesn’t suck.

8:36pm – Our friends begin to arrive.  The wine begins to flow.

10:32pm – Amazing fruit cheesecake birthday cake complete with candles!  I’m officially 29.

11:35pm – Group picture before going out – headcount, 14 people, 6 countries.


12:05am – Departure to the streets, thank you Spanish holiday on Wednesday.

12:40pm – New friend Jose Faya and I make quick work of several challengers at the Foosball table, until getting blasted by two locals.  I’m pretty sure they were on Foosball steroids.


3:05am – Home, sweet, home.

No comments:

Post a Comment